Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Hawaiian Net Fisherman

I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back. (Philippians 3:12-14, MSG)

This morning on my beach walk, I walked past a net fisherman. He was standing on a rock wall casting his huge net into the water.

Upon my return home, I walked back past him. This time, he wasn't on the rock wall, he was in the rough surf. I wondered why he would leave the security of the rock wall and get into the rough water.

Then I noticed, he was attempting to untangle his net from rocks where he had been throwing his net.

I was concerned about him because he was elderly, was in water over his head, was having to tread water, was caught up in rough surf, and was dangerously near the rock wall as well as close to other large rocks.

I watched him for a few seconds. I wanted to make sure he was ok and I was watching for opportunity to help him.

As he freed part of his net from the rocks, the rough surf bounced him around as he treaded water, the water hit the rock wall, bounced back and slapped him in his face. Over and over and over.

He shook the water off his face, continued to tread water and removed whatever part of his net was caught on the rocks by the most recent wave. Over and over and over.

I thought, "There has got to be something I can do." I asked him if he was ok. He shook his head yes. I asked if I could help. He shook his head no.

He wasn't at all rude but I could almost read his face which seemed to be relaying, "Do not jump in this water, I don't want to have to save my net and you!" And, "I'm kinda busy here and don't have time to rescue you!"

The fisherman had extraordinary focus. In the midst of all the turmoil, he was extremely calm and patient. His demeanor never changed. His face never looked worried or scared and he maintained his focus...his net...the prize.

I immediately thought, "Man...I've got to up my game in the focus department."

I learned a very valuable lesson from this net fisherman.

  • Maintain extraordinary focus in the midst of turmoil (Matthew 6:33)
  • Maintain calmness (Deuteronomy 31:6)
  • Be patient (James 1:4)
  • Don't allow my demeanor to change (Philippians 4:13)
  • Never worry (Philippians 4:6)
  • Never be scared (2 Timothy 1:7)
  • Maintain focus on my prize (Philippians 3:14)



Lord, God Jehovah, thank You for this Hawaii net fisherman and the lesson You taught me while watching him recover his net. I pray for every reader right now and ask for You to give them a revelation of Your unfailing love and supernatural focus for today and the days ahead. No matter the season they are currently in, mountaintop or valley, I pray every reader walk in the acknowledgement of the vastness of Your great love and a focus they have never had before today. In the name of Jesus, continue to teach us to maintain our focus on You Father and to always seek You first! 





No comments:

Post a Comment