Thursday, December 13, 2012

Martha versus Mrs. Fancy

"Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:41-42, NLT)

While on a recent vacation to the mainland, I was greatly blessed with an opportunity to have an extended lunch with my previous women's bible study teacher and dear friend.

Years ago, I nicknamed her, Mrs. Fancy. It rhymes with her name and I call her Mrs. Fancy because she is always so "put together". She's a very snazzy dresser and always has the best selection of cool shoes!


She has been retired from a huge corporation for many years; however, she has not retired from life. She's is as sharp as a whip and as busy as ever. But, I noticed she's a different busy than I have been.

She is very gracious and one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. She moves slowly, not because age restricts her, but because she has her priorities in order. She seeks Him first in everything she says and does.

I watched her every move and wondered, "What is this that she operates in that is so full of peace and influences me to slow to her pace?"

At that thought, I sensed a pulling of the Holy Spirit telling me to "slow down" and "be with me".

I learned a very valuable lesson that day and I've been incorporating it into my everyday life.

In the hustle-bustle of our modern fast paced world, our priority holds just as true today as it did in Martha's day...Jesus!


My prayer for every reader today is to slow down, spend time with Him, and keep Jesus in the forefront of everything you do! Weighing every task against temporary and eternal will keep priorities in order!


No comments:

Post a Comment