Monday, December 17, 2012

Human Nature

From time to time, I ask friends and family to write a blog post. Enjoy today's post from my dear friend, Kristin Hoover. Mahalo Nui Loa Kristin!

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:14, NLT)

I do not claim to be a Sociologist. In fact, the only lasting impression from my university Sociology class, was the numerous pair of cute boots my professor would wear. However, after being a stay at home, mom of five children, I have noticed a few things about human nature.

My #5 just turned six months old. He is sitting up and playing with toys, and putting every thing in his mouth....yes, even Baby Jesus from our Fisher Price plastic nativity. Just like his other siblings, at first he is excited when surrounded by toys, but soon grows weary of same toys. However, if you put the same toy on the outer limits of his reach, the fun no longer is in the toy itself, but in reaching and refining abilities to obtain what catches his eye. This, I believe, is a critical point that pushes development onward to mobility.

If extrapolated, the desire for reaching beyond our comfortable zone to obtain something deemed as better, seems to me, the same motivation that fuels our capitalist society. Some may consider it greed, or discontentment, but in observing, it seems more along the lines of ambition and the push to excel.

In practical application, when this child becomes older, if everything is just handed to him, perhaps he will lose interest in the push for refining skills in obtaining his full potential. Mirroring our capitalist society, a parent should help a child refine their skills, work hard, and enjoy the reward of their labor.

Stretching. Reaching. Refining. Becoming. Finding our full potential in Him.

Kristin Hoover


No comments:

Post a Comment