Thursday, October 4, 2012

Time to Shut Off


Understand [this], my beloved brethren. Let every man be quick to hear [a ready listener], slow to speak, slow to take offense and slow to get angry. (James 1:19, AMP)

Yesterday, Gracie and I cleaned our refrigerator. That child is a cleaning, organizing machine!

During our process, the refrigerator light abruptly shut off. Gracie said, "Oh no, the light just burned out. We will have to get a new one." I said, "Let's just shut the refrigerator door. Maybe the light got too hot and hopefully shut itself off like a protective mechanism. If so, once it cools, it will turn on again."  

Sure enough, not long thereafter, the light was performing up to par and shining bright once again. 

I thought, "What a GREAT idea!"

I used my refrigerator light as teaching moment. I told her when we are faced with the temptation to get too hot by anger, offense, discord, division, or whatever else may come our way, we are going to:

Shut off (Psalm 4:4)
Cool off (Psalm 119:11)
Recalculate  (Proverbs 3:1) 
Shine bright (Matthew 5:16)

Tell us, what reminds you to shut off until you cool off and recalculate so that you can shine bright again?




Side note: For a fun tip on recalculating, use this link!


No comments:

Post a Comment