Thursday, October 18, 2012

My Stepmother


Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. (James 5:13, NKJV)

I was raised, in part, by my Dad and stepmother, Louise. When I was with them and when I became disappointed over a situation, “LouLou” would put her arms around me, flash me a million dollar smile, bat her huge brown eyes and sing,

“Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God has done!
Cooooooooount your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your many blessings see what God has done!”

Did I mention, she had a very thick Okie accent? She always knew how to make me smile!

I am so thankful she taught me that song and I’m so thankful for those memories because now, when I’m faced with an obstacle, I start singing this song and list all my blessings from God as I recall the look on her face. As I make a mental list of my many blessings, the temptation to be bogged down by the cares of this world fade away quickly and give place to singing psalms.

We would love to hear from you! What does your long list of blessings look like?






No comments:

Post a Comment