Friday, August 24, 2012

First Fruits

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. (Matthew 6:33, NKJV)

Mikea (my nine year old) has a favorite pastime, gardening. Recently she asked for some flower seeds. When I took her to purchase her seeds, she meticulously looked at each seed packet and scrupulously picked out just the perfect flower seeds. At the time, I wondered why all the fuss but I didn't question her. 

When we got home, she planted her seeds right away. She checked them several times a day taking special care to water them and insured they were receiving the correct amount of sun as per the packet instructions. 

One day, she walked in, handed me a tiny flower, and said, "Look Mommy, I've been saving this for you." I said, "Wow Mikea, thank you. It's so beautiful." She said, "I knew you would like it. It is purple and yellow, just like you like. I grew it just for you. It's my very first flower."



I do not even have the words to begin to explain how she blessed me. Through a cracking voice, I said, "That is the most gorgeous flower I have ever seen!" And it's true, because this flower came from Mikea's precious heart. 

My thoughts immediately went to our Father and how we bless Him when bringing Him our first fruits. This experience prompted me to research first fruits. Of all the study available on this subject, I kept coming back to the same scripture and the same simple concept. 

Seek Him first with all our "firsts". 



No comments:

Post a Comment