Sunday, July 7, 2013

You are not a Human Ahi!

And (Jesus) said to His disciples, Temptations (snares, traps set to entice sin) are sure to come, but woe to him by or though whom they come! It would be more profitable for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he were hurled into the sea than that he should cause to sin or be a snare to one of these little ones (lowly in rank or influence). Pay attention and always be on your guard (looking out for one another). If your brother sins (misses the mark), solemnly tell him so and reprove him, and if he repents (feels sorry for having sinned), forgive him. (Luke 17:1-3, AMP)

My husband, Mike, is a manly man. He enjoys hunting and fishing. He enjoys it so much, he will get out of bed at all hours in the middle of the night to hunt/fish. For example, today, he got out of bed at 3:00 a..m. and went fishing with a buddy. That's hardcore. But, his tenacity constantly pays off in the woods and on the water. Today they caught a really nice yellow fin tuna. Now that's a good looking fish right there. Come to think of it, that's a very long fish right there. Mike is almost six foot five inches tall and as you can see, the fish is almost as long as he is tall! Way to go guys!



Yellow fin tuna, also known as ahi, is a very fascinating fish. It is a very versatile fish. It is used in sushi and sashimi. It is also great grilled and enjoyed with a really nice mango salsa. And, we've eaten ahi in fish tacos as well.

We've been told ahi (Which, by the way, sounds like awww-hee…ok, probably not all that drawn out so maybe more like aw-hee.) is Hawaiian for fire. Thus so named because of several reasons. One reason is because in ancient times, Hawaiians used a bone for a hook, and a rope for a line. Once the ahi took the hook, the ahi would dive down so fast, the rope would catch on fire because of friction between the rope and the boat. 

The website for Kona Fishing Charters (www.konafishing4u.com) tells a similar tale (Hahaha, fish tale pun fully intended).

"Ahi means fire in Hawaiian, in reference to what happened to Hawaiians in olden times when fishing from outrigger canoes. The line would go out so fast over the side, it would smoke the sides of the canoe." 

I am unsure whether or not the rope caught fire or the rope smoked, either way, that is some major friction going on. 

I find it very interesting that ahi dive down but marlin come up. You may have seen marlin jump up out of the water once on the line. but ahi dive down as deep as possible. Today's ahi went down and took out three-fourths of the fishing line that was on the rod by the time Mike could pick up the rod. Mike is very fast but so is ahi.

We've also been told another reason yellow fin tuna is called ahi (Please keep in mind, the Hawaiian translation for ahi is fire) is because once the fish is hooked, it dives down, and fights so hard, it literally cooks inside. Let's pause for a moment and think about that one…the fish fights so hard it cooks it's own insides.

Below is a picture of the ahi Mike and his friend caught today. While cleaning the fish, we cut the darker red colored meat off and threw it away because it isn't good to eat. You can see, the ahi literally burned its insides up by fighting. The darker red colored meat is because of an interior force, not an external force.



Have you ever known anyone who was"cooking their insides"? I do. That. Was. Me. I was a human ahi. Before receiving Jesus, I was so full of offense, frustration, and anger, I was literally sick most of the time. I had over the counter medication in my purse, in my car, at my bedside, and in my desk drawer at my office. I could have been a walking billboard for Tagamet, Tums, and Tylenol!  At one time in my life, I was on antibiotics every other month. Wow, what a way to live…not! (John 10:10)

When I was very small, my Daddy said something to me that I didn't comprehend until much later in life. He said, "Sister, bitterness will burn you up from the inside out." Had I understood that sooner, I could've saved myself so much money on medication and countless doctor's visits as well as prevented several abdominal surgeries. I won't even mention sleep issues I use to deal with! 

But, praise God! Once I was born again, everything…every thing in my life, changed. As I submitted myself to Him, He made my path straight! (Proverbs 3:6)  I believe God led me straight to a life changing book. If you've followed this blog for long, you already know what you are about to read! Yes, "Breaking the Cycle of Offense", by Dr. Larry Ollison. (www.faithman.org) 

God taught me through this book how I was making myself physically ill by living in offense. Here is the kicker…I wasn't even aware I was living in offense. (1 Peter 5:8) 

I thank God I no longer cook my own insides. (2 Corinthians 10:5, Philippians 4:8-9, Matthew 6:14) 

Let's reiterate:
  • The ahi is hooked.
  • It dives down as far as possible.
  • It fights so hard, it literally cooks it's own insides.

Don't be an ahi!
  • Don't get hooked!
  • Don't get caught up in friction!
  • Don't dive down as far as possible!
  • Don't fight so hard, you literally cook your own insides!
Do:
  • Be a child of God, not an ahi! (Galatians 3:26-27)
  • Refuse offense! (Luke 17:1)
  • Just say no to friction! (1 Timothy 6:11)
  • Look up not down, where does your help come from?! (Psalm 121:2)
  • Don't cook, cast. Cast your care! (1 Peter 5:7) 

Some could argue the "internal cooking" is because of an external force, as well as an internal force. For example, what if my bother (or sister/mother/father/friend, etc) isn't sorry? Dr. Larry Ollison would most likely say, "Big woo, forgive them anyway." And I wholeheartedly agree. 

There is a saying, I'm not sure who the quote belongs to, (if you know please give them credit in the comments below), "Forgiving someone is like opening the prison door and setting yourself free". 

Don't get hooked. Be free, today, in the name of Jesus.

A short time back, I was asked, "Okay, I get what the bible says but how do I practically apply it to my life." I am so glad they asked!

Father God, I wholeheartedly forgive and thank You for forgiving me. In the name of Jesus, I take my every thought captive. My thoughts are mine, I have control over my thoughts, I capture each thought and bring every thought into submission to Your Word. I only meditate on whatever is true, noble, just, pure, lovely, and of good report, and that which is praiseworthy! Thank You for Your peace. I declare I walk in the life in excessive abundance that Jesus died to give me. I will be robbed of nothing…no thing, Jesus has given me. I receive it now by faith. Thank You for Your Son Jesus, thank You for the Blood of Jesus. Thank You for teaching me that nothing…no thing, is impossible for me!



(Matthew 6:14, 2 Corinthians 10:5, Philippians 4:8-9, John 10:10, Matthew 21:21)



No comments:

Post a Comment