Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Clean It Up



From whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love. (Ephesians 4:16, NLT)


We are a homeschooling family. We include Life Skills as a part of our daily schedule. One of Gracie's Life Skill tasks is to fill our water fountain. We are currently living in a roof top apartment in Honolulu and we don't have a water hose that will reach the downstairs faucet so she fills a container with water and carries the water from the kitchen to the fountain. This process takes about four trips.

Today she was carrying the container (which was too heavy, she had overfilled because she was in a hurry), bumped the kitchen door frame on the way out the door, and yep...water...went...everywhere.

To Gracie, this wasn't just water all over the floor...and walls...and door...and her. To Gracie, this was a huge mess that she had to correct when she was already in a hurry. To her, this was going to take time that she was already running short on. 

I. Can. Totally. Relate.

She burst into tears...very large, alligator tears. 


I. Can. Totally. Relate.


I stopped what I was doing, ran to her, and I held her tight. She said (Ok, she wailed), "I am just so upset right now." I told her, "It's just water, everything will be ok." She said, "Yea but now I have to clean all this up." I said, "I will help you."

About that time, Mikea came to see what was going on. She hugged Gracie. She held Gracie so tight and said, "I'm so sorry, are you ok?"

It was one of the sweetest things I've ever seen.

We all worked together to clean up the mess and it only took a few minutes since we were working together.

Once she had help, it gave her hope, and she said things like, "Well at least most of the water fell outside the door." and "Hey look! Now the floor is clean and now I can cross off mopping from my Life Skills list!"

This incident reminded me of how when we are in hurry and make a big mess, God holds us when we need Him, He draws near to us (James 4:8), and He shows us perspective. (Colossians 3:1-4) Our friends and/or family rushes in when they hear something has gone wrong and they do everything they can to make everything ok. (Ecclesiastes 4:9) And in doing so, God is blessed as He watches His children love and help one another. (1 Thessalonians 5:11, Galatians 6:2, 1 John 4:7, 1 Peter 2:21, Romans 12:10, Ephesians 4:32)

How are you today? Are you cleaning up messes or helping clean up someone else's messes? Whichever the case may be, clean that mess with your whole heart unto Him! (Colossians 3:23) Bear the burdens of someone else's mess and give them hope. (Proverbs 22:9, Matthew 10:42) It will bless the LORD! (Psalm 103:1)





No comments:

Post a Comment