Sunday, February 19, 2012

You Don't Love Me!

One of the most frustrating things I face as a mother is when I discipline one of my girls and they perceive it as me not loving them instead of it being a result of something they deserve.

For example, we were driving to town and my youngest child was teasing my middle child with the dvd remote control, Play-Stop-Fast Forward-Reverse. I took the remote from my youngest. She yelled, “You don’t love me like you do her!” At which time I calmly closed the dvd screen. She said, “I’m going to kick your seat.” In my deepest mommy voice, I said, “Do you really want to do that?” My children know me well enough to know, if they find themselves in a hole, they best stop digging…quickly or else I have many options up my sleeve. Wisdom ruled and she decided to “stop digging” and she apologized.

I understand she is only seven, wisdom will continue to come, and she won’t always react the way she did this day. But I thought…how often do we hear others blame shift and blame God for failure, or natural disaster, or unanswered prayer?

Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! (Isaiah 5:20)

Let’s clarify what Jesus said.

The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows). (John 10:10, Amplified)

My heart’s desire is for my children to perceive I have a heart of compassion and I love them, even when things are not going their way.

So does my Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment