Saturday, January 14, 2012

Love conquers all!

“And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him.” 1 John 4:16 says, NKJV

One of the key words in this verse is abide: to remain, continue, stay. Is that possible? I believe it is. (2 Timothy 3:16) I don’t believe we have to work hard at loving. I believe, as we remain/continue/stay in Him, love is.

A quick breakdown of 1 Corinthians 13:4 explains, love:

·       Is patient
·       Is kind
·       Does not envy
·       Does not boast
·       Is not proud
·       Does not dishonor others
·       Is not self seeking
·       Is not easily angered
·       Keeps no records of wrongs
·       Does not delight in evil
·       Rejoices in truth
·       Always protects
·       Always trusts
·       Always hopes
·       Always perseveres
·       Never fails
·       Will never pass away

Now we know what love really is but what can love do on a daily basis? I recently had an experience that revealed to me exactly what love can do on a practical level.

The day before Christmas Eve, I had to go to the emergency room for an irregular heartbeat. If you missed that blog, please read, “Delivered: AGAIN!” A blog that was posted on 1/7/12

When I left the hospital, the doctors and nurse told me to “Get to the ER immediately if the problem returned”. I was told, “If this happens again, don’t mess around with this but come straight to the ER.”

Late in the afternoon on Christmas Eve, I felt my heart starting to beat incorrectly. The temptation to fear knocked. Thoughts flooded my head. “I don’t want to go back to the hospital!”, “I don’t want to miss Christmas morning with my girls!”, “I don’t want to be admitted to the hospital!”

I didn’t waste time. (2 Corinthians 10:5) And I yelled for back up, “Mike!” (my husband). Thank God for good training in spiritual authority. Thank you, Larry Ollison and Terry Mize. I know God has called my husband as the head of our household and he has spiritual authority over me.

He walked over to me and asked what was wrong and I told him my heart was trying not to beat correctly. He didn’t say a word. He gently put his head on my chest. He didn’t pray (although he had been praying since the night before) he just laid there. Peace flooded and my heart rate returned to normal within a few minutes.

I believe when fear knocked, love answered. The presence of love dissolved the source of the irregular heartbeat forcing my heart to beat correctly!

A quick side note here. We don’t have a perfect marriage. We fight more than we should and allow minor irritations to override our love walk. You don’t have to be a “perfect” wife/husband. Set your heart on God, abide in Him, and everything else will fall into place. (Matthew 6:33)

I believe evil is unable to stand in the presence of love. Love is such an amazing, powerful force! Love dissolves everything not of God!

Earlier in this blog, I asked the question, “What can love do?” I believe there is nothing love cannot do.

What can love do for you?

What can the love of God through you do for others?

No comments:

Post a Comment