Thursday, January 26, 2012

THE Blood, Not Stats! Conclusion

A little while later, our pastor's wife came to my room. She said I had really been on her heart all day and she had received many calls from women in the church asking about me. They were all praying for me but didn't know why because no one knew what had happened. Thank God for people who are led by the Spirit of God! (Romans 8:14) And thank God for their obedience!

She asked if there was anything she could pray for. I asked her to pray for my baby because the doctor said she might have to be sent to Honolulu for a blood transfusion because she had lost so much blood. She did pray and my baby didn’t have to have the procedure! (1 John 5:14)

The statistics we were given at the time of the event were that this occurrence is extremely rare (0.7%). Stats show when the uterus is ruptured during pregnancy 80% of the mothers and babies die before an ambulance can arrive with the mothers bleeding to death and the babies suffocating. The remaining 20% who do survive typically have long term disabilities. I am completely whole…well, sans the uterus (which has been fine with me). {Smile} I do not take medication and really cannot tell I’ve had a partial hysterectomy other than the absence of the monthly cycle (YAY!).

“Uterine rupture in pregnancy is a rare and often catastrophic complication with a high incidence of fetal and maternal morbidity. From the time of diagnosis to delivery, only 10-37 minutes are available before clinically significant fetal morbidity becomes inevitable. Fetal morbidity occurs as a result of catastrophic hemorrhage, fetal anoxia, or both. Uterine rupture is associated with (1) clinically significant uterine bleeding; (2) fetal distress; (3) expulsion or protrusion of the fetus, placenta, or both into the abdominal cavity; and (4) the need for prompt cesarean delivery and uterine repair or hysterectomy.” Gerard G Nahum, MD, FACOG, FACS and Krystle Quynh Pham, MD, FACOG (Please refer to the end of this post for full credits.)

I will always remember the first time I was able to go outside after being released from CCU. Mike pushed me out via wheelchair to the hospital garden. I will never forget the way the breeze and sunshine felt on my face, the way the flowers smelled, and the way the birds were singing. Being outside…being alive, was way beyond anything I can describe. That day I promised God I would never ever take another day for granted. I know each day with my family is a gift from Him!

Prayer works! Once I was transferred from CCU to the OB unit I was told I would be in the hospital for at least a week and my baby would be released before I was. I healed so quickly I was released to go home the following Monday! Me and my baby went home together! I give God all the glory for working things out for my good and the good of my baby that day!
This is just one of the many reasons why I celebrate God's goodness and why I tell of His great love and power!

What stats said couldn't be...God said, "Here is your reward!" (Psalm 127:3) 
And when stats told a negative report...God said, "You are healed!" (Isaiah 53:5) 
All things are possible to him who believe! (Mark 9:23)

Happy Happy Birth Day Grace!



You are truly a gift from God!
Way beyond anything I could’ve ever thought or asked for!


Gerard G Nahum, MD, FACOG, FACS  Adjunct Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences; Head of Global Clinical Development, Women's Healthcare U.S., Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals

Coauthor(s) 
Krystle Quynh Pham, MD, FACOG  Attending Faculty, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Santa Clara Valley Medical Center; Clinical Instructor, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Stanford University 

4 comments:

  1. WOW! I had to wait until the whole article was published before I could read the rest! I'd heard little niblets of complications about her delivery, but never the whole story. For you to be here this day, celebrating Gracie's 7th year!, is totally a wonder of wonders of God's mighty hand and the sweetnes of His smile... and the RESURRECTION POWER of His Word! Thank you for telling your story! Thank you thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie,
      Overcoming by The Blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimony! He is so good and His mercy endures forever!

      Delete
  2. Truly a gift straight from God!

    ReplyDelete