Tuesday, January 24, 2012

THE Blood, not Stats! Part Three

I was scheduled to deliver at 38 weeks via c section on a Thursday. The Saturday prior to delivery I went to my women's monthly breakfast/bible study. I was so nervous and uneasy about delivery but couldn't really put my finger on why because my prior delivery just 19 months earlier had been text book. At the end of the bible study, our leader asked if anyone needed prayer. I raised my hand and explained how I was apprehensive about the c section. The girls prayed for me.

The following Thursday, the morning of the c section I was stalling while getting ready to leave for the hospital because I was so upset. I just didn't know why I was upset. I very slowly walked out my door and when I stepped off my porch I broke down in tears. I don't often do that so my husband was very surprised. He asked what was wrong. I explained I didn't know but I just knew I didn't want to go to the hospital. He consoled me the best he could and we left.

I was prepped and in surgery. The atmosphere was light and there was excitement but I felt very...not there. I could hear people laughing and I could hear music playing but I wasn't in touch...if that makes sense. This day was completely unlike my prior c sections.

Disclaimer: the following is not for the faint at heart or the weak stomached.

The incision was made and it was as if someone had a water hose and was spraying blood everywhere, including on the doctors and nurses. I could see blood spraying higher than the curtain they had placed over me. I could see the doctors trying to keep the blood spatter off their faces. I looked up at my husband's face and could tell something was very wrong. I kept asking about my baby but no one would answer me. 

The atmosphere changed immediately. There was no more joking. No more laughing. The music was turned off. All the doctors and nurses were very serious. I kept hearing my OB/GYN say, “Call Dr. ______ stat!” and "Call Dr. _____ stat! Get him in here NOW!"

It seemed to take a long time to get the baby out. When they finally got her out, she wasn't crying. I kept asking, "Why can't I hear her cry?!" But my questions were still ignored. 

I finally saw her and she was so white. I hadn't ever seen another human being that white before. She was quickly taken out of the room.



Then I felt extremely sick and weak. I wanted to pray but was so weak I couldn't concentrate or speak. So I did the best I could do and just kept saying, "Jesus". In between very slow...very slow heart beats, when I had enough strength...I kept saying, "Jesus". Praise God there is still power flowing through His name!

Continued tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete