Monday, August 4, 2014

Onward to Valdez!

For He shall give His angels charge over you, to keep you in all your ways. (Psalm 91:11, NKJV)

Mike and I always like to wing it when we are on vacation. During this whole trip we only had one appointment. A VIB Rouge Party at Sephora! 

To eliminate parking the RV downtown, Mike dropped me off in front of the 5th Avenue Mall. 

The private party was from 9:00 a.m to 11:00 a.m. On Sunday, the mall didn’t open until 11:00 a.m. This was a problem. Not being from this area, I didn’t know how to get inside the mall because the front doors were locked. 

I was locked outside and I was cold! I asked Siri to find Sephora for me. Siri told me to walk to the next block and turn left…so I did. At which point, Siri told me to to walk another block and turn left…so I did. As I walked further and further away from the mall entrance, I got suspicious that Siri had no idea how to get inside the mall. I saw a woman dressed in a USPS uniform so I asked her how to get inside the mall. She told me to go back the way I came…so I did.

Still unable to find any mall doors that weren’t locked…I called the Sephora 800 number. Hey…don’t judge. This was a very important party! Plus, Mike had dropped me off and left me to go find a Starbucks…plus, did I mention…I was cold!?

The wonderful Sephora girl put me on hold and called the local store. Sephora has the best customer service! She told me to walk to the skybridge, cross over the street using said skybridge, and that entrance would allow me inside.

I walked to the skybridge only to find out two things.
  1. I was now standing at the convention center.
  2. There was more than one skybridge.
If you happened to have heard a resounding,  “NOOOOOOOO!”

It was not an earthquake…it was me! I had to go back outside and walk to the “other” nearest skybridge. Thankfully, it was the right one! And might I add, the VIB Rouge party rocked!

I left the party with all my goodies (Sephora gives the best samples!). I called Mike to let him know he could come pick me up. 

He called me a little later to let me know he was about three minutes out so I walked outside to meet him. (Remember, he had dropped me off in order to avoid parking the RV in the parking garage.)

I saw him coming from about five blocks away (it is a very large RV) so I started walking towards him. He was in the far right lane (one way traffic with three lanes). I called and told him to get in the left lane. I was on that side of the street and was hoping he would have to to stop for a red light and I could just hop in. 

But as he got closer, I began to wonder…why is he still in the far right lane…why isn’t he switching to the far left lane. 

When it occurred to me…he was in the far left lane…HIS Left…not my left…I was facing him.

Ok. It’s cold. I’m outside. It was too late to call him and tell him he should be in MY left lane!

He drove right past me…not to panic! The traffic light at the intersection a block away from me just turned yellow! I realized…if we don’t connect right now, he will have to drive approximately six blocks…and I’m cold!

All the sudden, the theme song from Hawaii 5-0 started playing in my head!
I was like…”Hey, I bike 30-40 miles every week. I. Can. Do. This.

So…I took off running! 
Down 5th Avenue! 
In downtown Anchorage! 
Dodging three lanes of traffic!
Carrying my new Sephora VIB Rouge tote bag full of samples! 

People in cars were pointing. Thankfully no one honked at me. That might have freaked me out!

And. I. Actually. Made. It.

Thankfully, no one called 911 on me as I jumped in the RV!

Feeling the need to get out town quickly (just in case)…we headed to Valdez!



Slingshots came in handy at the Matanuska River! 
Check out the glaciers in the background!




Mike had several issues with Siri…yea…me too Bro...me too!





We saw some really hardcore bikers!



We drove through Glacier View; hence it’s name!



And we spotted some dall sheep high on the mountain!



One of the most amazing places on earth, the Wrangell Mountain Range!




And another amazing sunset…thank You Lord, for another amazing day! And thank You for sending Your angles to keep charge over me in all my ways….even running through three lanes of traffic on 5th Avenue in downtown Anchorage!














No comments:

Post a Comment