Thursday, August 21, 2014

Crutches

He makes the whole body fit together perfectly. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love. (Ephesians 4:16, NLT)

I recently hurt my left ankle and have been on crutches all week. While the crutches have helped me move around, I’m not moving around like I should be. And most certainly, not how I prefer to be.




I’ve had to take extra time to tend to my ankle. Ice, elevate, wrap, soak it as well as orally take anti-inflamitories.

The first thing I noticed about using crutches is, the rest of my body has paid the price by compensating for what my left ankle is not currently performing

In other words, when my whole body is doing what it was created to do I can accomplish many things. But since my left ankle isn’t bearing its share of the weight, I haven’t accomplished much.

The Spirit of God has been speaking to my heart and has shown me a direct correlation between my ankle and the church. When the whole church body each does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow so that the whole body is healthy, growing, and full of love.

Of course there are times (seasons) where, the church has to tend to the needs of the hurting. (Ecclesiastes 3:1) But for the most part, the church is created to be healthy, growing, and full of love.

If you are hurt, by all means, tend to yourself and ask others to pray you through to wholeness. But don’t camp out in the city of "Hurtville". Even on crutches, I can help cook, do light housework, and teach homeschool. 

We can all do something on our way to full victory!


And as a sidenote; 
if you feel as if a church has failed you, 
don't camp out there either. 
Just determine to do what the LORD has said to do! (Hebrews 10:25) 
I don't know how many excuses I've heard about why people refuse to go to church but continue to be faithful to going to the bar. 
As if the bar has never failed them. 

Ok, I won't camp out there either.

At times, in the church I’ve seen the same 10% of people doing 90% of the work. That equation results in the churches inability to be healthy, grow, and love as it was created to.

When each part does its own special work, the church is everything God created her to be (Ephesians 4:11-12, Ephesians 4:16) 

Please allow me to lovingly encourage you, if you are looking at the church and wondering why it isn’t…well, let’s just say, healthy, growing, and full of love…please ask the Lord to bring to your attention precisely what your part is in the body. And as He is faithful to show you, please be faithful to do your own special work. (1 Corinthians 1:9, Colossians 3:23, Ephesians 4:16)


Father, in the name of Jesus, I pray for Your people, the church. Please bring to each and every one of our attention, ways to immediately rise up and do our own special work so that Your church is healthy, growing, and full of love! Lord, we ask You to show us the gifts and talents You have given to each of us, and how we can best use them to serve on another, and bring You all the glory. May everything we think, say, and do, honor You Lord God. And may we always, always remember who it is we are working for. 


1 Peter 4:10
1 Corinthians 10:31
Colossians 3:23






No comments:

Post a Comment