Thursday, November 1, 2012

Junk Food...

You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. (Psalm 16:11, NKJV)

Yesterday, we had a very full day. We are on vacation, spending time with family and friends that we haven't seen for a year. Mega-excitement fills the atmosphere! 

We started our day at our Grammy and Poppy's house where milk and cookies flow...in excessive abundance! Grammy had also prepared harvest bags for our girls full of Jr. Mints, m&ms, and I'm convinced....every other form of chocolate available to mankind. There was lots of squeals and giggles as Poppy played hide-n-seek with our girls. 

From there, we joined up with friends at a football game where some of the sugar was balanced out with goldfish. Then counterbalanced with canned peaches. 

After half time, we met up with some other friends to pick up some items and take a few minutes to play and catch up with them.

My girls are generally in bed at 8:30 pm. On our way back to our condo, at approximately 9:30 pm, Gracie said, "Oh...I shouldn't have eaten all that stuff...now I need a green smoothie!" 

Combine this with the fact that my girls have only seen their dad about 20 minutes per day the last two days because he has been hunting. Limited time with him results in an unraveling at the seams in very short order.

All that sugar, all that excitement, and all that time away from their father, resulted in a bed time melt down. There was crying and gnashing of teeth! They were not disrespectful in their meltdown. Just weepy and whiny. After a few minutes, sleep overruled Mikea's meltdown and she went to bed.

Gracie had  quite a bit more endurance. I allowed her to sit up with me so we could discuss her day and decompress. I heard every excuse from, her "sister had been mean to her" to the "mattress hurt her back". After half hour or so (that felt like an eternity), of rocking and talking, I said, "I know what you need.  You need to go spend some time with your father. He will make everything better."

She went in the room where he was and crawled up next to him. I couldn't hear what was being said but about ten minutes later, her world was anew and she came  bouncing back through the front room, smiled and said, "I'm going to bed now!" 

There is just something about time with our Father. Taking time to talk to others is great, but nothing resolves an issue(s) like time with our Father.

 If I allow the "junk food" the world has to offer to fill me instead of His presence, it doesn't take long for me to have a meltdown. Time with my Father always makes my world anew!

What about you? 
Are you full of the junk food of life?

Time in His presence will make your world anew!


No comments:

Post a Comment