Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Tsunami Evacuation!


In 2010, after living in Hawaii for over a decade, we experienced our first tsunami evacuation. Below are the top 10 things I learned. 

10.  Always keep my toothbrush and a bra handy!

9. Always thank God for technology and for living in the great, blessed United States of America where people we don't even know put their lives on the line every single day to protect us!

8. An "emergency kit" (water, flash lights, batteries, can goods radio, etc)...really is a good thing to have on hand...packed, ready and close to the door!

7. Actually know where the evac route is and how to get to it!

6. Actually know what sound the emergency sirens make so I don't have to repeatedly ask Mike, "what is that terrible sound??!"

5.  How great Mike and I work together as a team...we woke up in the middle of the night to sirens, dressed (partially!) grabbed kids and were driving (what we believed to be) the evac route in less than 5 minutes! Mike took charge and I'm a great worker bee! I didn't know where he was going but we were all together so I was in!

4. ALWAYS have your prayer warriors watch'n your back! While I was snoozing away, my friends and family were burning up my Facebook and text, praying!

3.  We were all together, safe and  God was working things out for our good! 

2. My family and friends is what I love and appreciate most in this world and they all moved up in my list of priorities!

1. Last and most importantly, as I stood in my home w/ emergency sirens blaring and police driving the streets of our neighborhood announcing over a loud speaker, "we advise you to evacuate"...I realized, the most important thing to remember is He who abides in the secret place of the most high, shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty! Thank God for ALL His promises! They are numerous and He is always faithful!

No comments:

Post a Comment