Monday, September 17, 2012

He said. She said.

These older women must train the younger women to love their husbands and their children, to live wisely and be pure, to work in their homes, to do good, and to be submissive to their husbands. Then they will not bring shame on the word of God. (Titus 2:4, 5 NLT)

Today, I was visiting with a newlywed couple and I wondered about their struggles. I wondered how I, being married for fifteen years, could help them since they are just starting out on in their marriage.

First, I asked them to tell me two things that are important. 

She said:

To know we don't go through things alone. 
To be encouraged not "check out" when things don't go as planned. 

He said:

To pick my battles and ask myself, "Is what I'm upset about right now going to matter in a week?"
To refuse to take my anger out on my wife, especially when I'm frustrated about work or something that has nothing to do with her.

When I initially asked the question, I wondered if I might be biting off more than I can chew. What if they ask a question and I don't have an answer? I left the conversation thinking, training to love, be wise and pure, to work, do good and be submissive is an easier command then I had originally thought!  Training is truly just using God's Word because He left no stone uncovered. 

For example:

She said: To know we don't go through things alone. 
God's Word: Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are. (1 Peter 5:9)
She said: To be encouraged not "check out" when things don't go as planned. 
God's Word: So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. (Galations 6:9)

He said: To pick my battles and ask myself, "Is what I'm upset about right now going to matter in a week?"
God's Word:  My dear brothers, take note of this.  Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. (James 1:19, 20)
He said: To refuse to take my anger out on my wife.
God's Word: And "don't sin by letting anger control you." Don't let the sun go down while you are still angry, (Ephesians 4:20)

What part of God's Word can you use to encourage someone today? 





No comments:

Post a Comment