Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Momentum

So many people have asked me how I gain control over my thought life. God set us up! Our thought life has a momentum and this is how we use that momentum to our advantage!

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praise worthy meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you. (Philippians 4:8, 9)
Personally, I believe there are so many whatevers to give us time to process the information. If I am mad or sad, I can’t get through the whole scripture without the momentum changing into joy and gladness! Oftentimes, I stop and think…wait, what was I thinking again?

*Likes shiny objects*
Can you imagine the Amplified Version of that scripture? I didn’t even look! Some day if I ever get really mad and this version doesn’t work for me, I will refer to the Amplified Version. That’ll get the job done. *grin*

Let’s look at the end of that scripture again. “And the God of peace will be with you.” Whoa-Ho-Ho, and the God of peacewill be…with me! Talk about momentum! That in and of itself is enough motivation!

I once heard Brother Keith Moore at Faith Life Church in Branson Missouri teach on this scripture. He taught to make every thought qualify with every point of this scripture. In other words, something may be true; however, if it is not lovely don’t meditate on it.
I refute arguments and theories and reasonings and every proud and lofty thing that sets itself up against the true knowledge of God; and I lead every thought and purpose away captive into the obedience of Christ. (2 Corinthians 10:4-6) Who leads my thoughts? I lead my thoughts! How many thoughts? Every thought! I am the boss of my thoughts! Sometimes I have to say, “I will-I will-I will take every thought-every thought- every thought captive!

No matter what people may say to me or do to me, since He be for me who can be against me?! (Romans 8:31) He loves me with a steadfast love! (Psalm 36:7) He never leaves or forsakes me so I am strong and courageous! (Deuteronomy 31:6)

Does this always work? Yes, always. Maybe not the first time I follow the process so if necessary, I keep repeating the process until I reach the “other side”!

Am I perfect in this? Shoots no! Do I want to slap people? I sure do! But instead, I ask the Holy Spirit to help me in my weakness and He has never failed me! (Romans 8:26)
To summarize:

1.    Qualify every thought
2.    Lead every thought captive.
3.    And is the above fails, simply say,

“Father, I love you and I want to obey your commands but I’m weak in this right now. Please help me in my weakness as I submit my spirit to your precious Holy Spirit in the name of your Son, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment