Friday, February 21, 2014

Wishing versus Doing

But don’t just listen to God’s Word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves. (James 1:22, NLT)

Last year, one of my friends told me she does two miles on the elliptical every morning at the gym. My first thought was, I wish I could do two miles on the elliptical every morning at the gym. Who am I kidding? At that point, (after a brief, meaningless affair with refined sugar) I was wishing I could do any time on the elliptical every morning at the gym!

I did a reality check and realized, two miles on the elliptical doesn't come by wishing. Change comes by doing. This year, I’ve desperately wanted to improve my life…in every area of my life.

So, on 1/1/14, I made (accepted and committed to) a list of personal challenges. I set some personal goals. One of which was, two miles on the elliptical…four to five days per week. The first day, I was able to do fifteen minutes. Which I was actually happy with because the elliptical was once my nemesis and I could only accomplish five minutes. I strongly wanted to overcome in the area of the elliptical. I wanted to sincerely like the elliptical. I pressed on. Within two weeks, I was able to do one mile. I pressed on. When I didn't feel like pressing on, I pressed on. When my flesh screamed, I pressed on. Within six weeks of the day I set my goal, I accomplished over two miles!

Everybody sing! “Oh happy day! Oh happy-happy day!"

Here is the thing. Had I stayed in my wishing…two months later, I’d still be sitting at my “hearing” and not “doing”.

Was the elliptical challenge easy? Nope. Shoots no. My flesh screamed the first two weeks. But as I set my mind against my flesh, I not only achieved my goal, I also experienced life and peace! (Romans 8:6)

We were created to progress in every area of our lives! We were created to be better next week than this week! We were created for vision! We were created to press on! (Proverbs 29:18, Philippians 3:14) When we have no vision and are not pressing on, we are going against our genetic makeup.

How is the best way for us to press on and have vision? By hearing and doing God’s Word! (James 1:22) Renewing our minds daily and utterly refusing to conform! (Romans 12:2)

I encourage you today, improve at least one thing in your life. Find something you really like to do and set a goal. Or, find something you really dislike and set a goal. Either way, overcome!


As for me and my elliptical, it is time to increase our vision.


Hello elliptical, come to me friend! 




Father, in the name of Jesus, I pray for every reader right now to awaken to You! Open the eyes of their understanding in all areas of their lives! Build a fire in them, a fire than can never die! A fire for vision, for themselves, their family, their church and their community! Please continue to teach us and please continue to order our steps straight into Your perfect plan for us! Thank You Father! Thank You for Your unfailing love and thank You for creating us in Your image! All glory and honor to You LORD!



No comments:

Post a Comment