Thursday, December 5, 2013

Country Roads

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. (James 1:2-4, NKJV)

My middle child has been learning how to drive. We insure we have control of the vehicle by having her sit in our lap. She only drives on country roads and she doesn’t drive over twenty miles per hour. She’s currently ten years old, which explains why she has to sit on our laps.

One thing I’ve noticed about her driving is, she prefers straight roads. If there is a curve up ahead, or an obstacle like driving by a large tree near the road, a ditch, or an oncoming car, she wants to stop the vehicle and have Mike or I drive. As long as she’s on a straight road, it’s all kicks and grins. But as soon as she sees an obstacle up ahead, she wants to stop and have someone else take over. 

Last weekend, she was driving and she saw an oncoming car. She wanted to stop the vehicle, get out of the driver's seat, and have her dad take over. He refused to let her. He calmly said, “No, you are doing fine. You can do this. You are driving safely, and I am right here to help you." 

She said, “But I don’t like obstacles."

My immediate thought was, I don’t either. 

I know how she felt. I remember the days when I was on my dad’s lap, learning how to drive the car. I knew his foot was near the brake and his hand was near the wheel but when I saw an obstacle coming, I wanted to stop the car because I wanted him to take over.

My dad refused to allow me to give up, just like my husband refused to allow our daughter to give up.

Had my dad allowed me to give up, I never would have progressed from driving down a country road to driving across the country.

Life on earth is not always a straight path, or a country road, full of kicks and grins. In life, giving up just isn’t an option. We have to refuse to grow weary. We cannot give up. When we refuse to give up, we will reap…in due time. (Galatians 6:9)

Abide in Him...my brethren…be strong and of good courage...listen to Him calmly say, "You are doing fine. You can do this. I am right here to help you.” (John 15:4, Deuteronomy 31:6)

We’ll go a step further and count it all joy because we know various trials tests our faith and produces patience. When patience has her perfect work, we are perfect and complete, lacking nothing. (James 1:2-4)

Perfect and complete, lacking nothing. Sure sounds good to me.




Father, in the name of Jesus, I pray for every reader right now and pray supernatural joy in, on, and through them. I ask you to supernaturally give us the ability to refuse the temptation to give up. Thank You for being with us in our every day lives. Thank You for encouraging us and telling us to be strong and of good courage. Thank You for calmly speaking to us in our every day lives. Continue to teach us how to stay one with You. Thank You for joy. Thank You for all Your promises. For without Your promises, I would have fainted had I not believed I would see the goodness of the Lord, in the land of the living. Thank You for Your goodness. Thank You Father, for Your Word. Thank You Father, for You.  


Psalm 27:13


2 comments:

  1. And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, always a great reminder! Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete