Thursday, November 7, 2013

Signs, Signs, Everywhere There's Signs

Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near. Luke 21:28

A few days ago, I took a wonderful long walk with my girls. My youngest commented on how many signs she saw.

There were stop signs, yield signs, signs dictating where to and where not to park, signs explaining how to properly use dumpsters. There was even a sign warning people to stay off the roof of a building. That one made me scratch my head and think, “Huh? People have to be told to stay off the roof of buildings?” All sorts of signs.

There were other “signs”. Signs that summer was over and fall is on it’s way. Leaves changing, the aroma of someone baking pumpkin something or the other, and small animals scurrying through dead leaves gathering nuts for winter.

I had been concentrating on my surroundings. The amazing fall colors, the cool crisp breeze, and the sounds of the birds singing. I had not paid attention to the posted signs until my daughter brought the matter to my attention. Once she did, I started seeing signs I had never seen before.

The bible also tells us about signs. Signs in the sun, moon, stars; and on the earth, nations, the sea and the waves. Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near. (Luke 21) 

Matthew 24, Jesus tells us to “watch” out because "many will be deceived”. He also tells us "But the one who stands firm to the end will be saved". Jesus told us these things ahead of time. (Matthew 24:25) so that we wouldn’t be bogged down by everyday life (life signs) and forget or be deceived into not believing the Son of Man is coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory! 

Regardless of what the “world” believes, Jesus is coming! And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather His elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other. (Matthew 24:31)

So we are keeping watch, because we do not know on what day our Lord will come! (Matthew 24:42) And we are never more caught up in every day life here on earth (temporal signs) than we are in Heavenly (eternal signs)!

Every day, I assume this gospel of the kingdom has been preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations” (Matthew 24 :14) and everyday I expect Jesus to come. When I lay down at night, there is a little disappointment He didn’t come that day but my heart expectedly says, “Maybe tomorrow is the day, maybe tomorrow will be the day He comes!” Thank God the days are cut short for the elect's sake. (Matthew 24:22)

Until that glorious day, please make the following confession with me.

I don’t lose heart, I believe that I will continue to see the goodness of the Lord In the land of the living! I wait on the Lord; am of good courage, and He strengthens my heart! Wait, I say, on the Lord! (Psalm 27:13, 14)


No comments:

Post a Comment