Tuesday, November 12, 2013

In a Double Deer Stand, Three is a Crowd

Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:1, 2 NKJV)

Last Saturday, I took my ten year old whitetail hunting at the Beautiful Lake of the Ozarks. We were sitting in our double tree stand, having a grand time, very quietly laughing and joking when…dun dun dunnnnnn!

I felt something hit the back of my neck. Something…like…a…bug. 



Stuff just got real. Really fast.

One moment, fun times. The following moment, dangah-dangah!


I quietly but with great emphasis whispered, “Mikea! Something just hit the back of my neck, brush it off! Brush it off!” She pulled my collar back and when she did, “it” got mad, stung me, and then "it" WENT DOWN MY SHIRT! 


The back of my neck…now on fire…convinced me I did NOT want to be stung again. I said, “What am I going to do? What am I going to do?” Mikea said, “Take off your clothes! Take off your clothes!” 

Knowing Mikea and her vast bank of wisdom, I did exactly what she said! Ok, I halfway did what she said. I removed only those articles of clothing holding me in eminent danger and we found the culprit…a yellow jacket! 

Said yellow jacket issue was addressed. That’s all I have to say about that, thank you Forrest Gump. Crisis averted. Order was restored, our focus was back on task, and I had a moment to process what had happened. 

Wildly surprised at how quickly I could throw aside every article of clothing which so easily ensnared me for the yellow jacket who was laying in wait to eat me alive...*drama alert*…brought to my remembrance the “lay aside every weight” in Hebrews. I pondered, why is it not always this easy to lay aside every weight and sin which so easily ensnares us…me... 

The sting of sin is no less dangerous than the sting of a yellow jacket. I know this, it isn’t like this is new information for me. James 4:7 tells us to "Submit to God, resist the devil and he will flee.” That sounds fast and easy. 

Another thing I know, when I stumble and miss the mark, Jesus is always willing and ready to restore me. Like the man in Matthew 8 with leprosy...no matter what I’ve done...Jesus reaches out, touches me, and says, “I am willing. Be clean!" Immediately it (whatever, "it" is) all goes away, and I am clean. (Matthew 8:3) 


Please make the following confession with me (out loud):

Father God, thank You for Your Son, Jesus! Thank You Jesus for Your perfect, unfailing will! Thank You for reaching out, touching me, and making me immediately clean! In my weakness You are made strong enabling me to lay aside every weight and run-run-run with great endurance this race that is set before me! I look to You King Jesus! You are the author and finisher of my faith! Thank You for enduring the cross and everything it represents so that I may live life in excessive abundance! Thank You for teaching me to prosper as my soul prospers!




2 Corinthians 12:9
John 10:10
3 John 1:2
Hebrews 12:1, 2


No comments:

Post a Comment