Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Father’s Day Extra Mile-ers!

But God showed His great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. (Romans 5:8, NLT)


Yesterday, my family and I did a 5k together at Ala Moana Beach park, “The Gecko Gallop”. It is a really nice 5k going through the beach park and right alongside the ocean near Waikiki Beach.



Mid-race, our nine year old spiked a fever and was having a hard time finishing. She said, “Daddy, can you please carry me. I am having a hard time going any further.”

Without saying a word, he reached his arms out, picked her up and carried her. 




She felt a little better and wanted to try to finish so he put her down. Quickly she started feeling so bad she said, “Daddy, I just can’t do it. Can you please carry me?"

Again, he never said a word, but picked her up and carried her again.


He carried her so far in the race that at the very end, she was able to run across the finish line holding our hands!


In our family, we use a saying. “Go the extra mile.”, meaning, do more than is required and make more of an effort than is expected. Our leader, the head of our household...Mike Fulton...daily walks this out as an example in our lives. He doesn't just talk the talk. He walks the walk...day after day, year after year. 


Sometimes, “going the extra mile” means sacrificing ourselves when we don’t want to or don’t feel like it but doing what is necessary to help others.

Sometimes, “going the extra mile” means carrying someone else because they just can’t go one step further.

Sometimes, “going the extra mile” means carrying someone again and again until they are strong enough to walk on their own.

Happy Father’s Day to all you men who go the extra mile! 


The ultimate, “extra mile” is when Jesus laid down His life for us. (John 15:13, NLT)

If you are not born again, let this Father’s Day be one of the most special days in your life and pray this prayer with us. Lay down being lord of your life and place Jesus in His rightful place as Lord over your life in all areas of your life!


Most gracious and loving Lord God, I come to you in the name of Jesus and acknowledge You as my Heavenly Father. Thank You for calling me out of darkness and into Your marvelous light! I repent of the way I was and I thank You for giving me a new heart! The old has passed away and I am now new in You! With all my heart, I believe You sent Your Son to die for me. And I believe you raised Him from the dead! Jesus, I was lord…but now You are my Lord and my Savior! Thank You Jesus for dying in my place and for giving me eternal life! And thank You for showing Your great love for me by sending Your Son to die for me when I was still a sinner!


John 14:14, 1 John 4:8, Matthew 5:48, 1 Peter 2:9, Romans 5:8

No comments:

Post a Comment