Friday, November 4, 2011

Break Free!

“But when you are praying, first forgive anyone you are holding a grudge against, so that your Father in heaven will forgive your sins, too.” (Mark 11:25 NLT)

Forgiveness…oh man…not many people enjoy that subject. But if you learn how to ask God for help in your weakness, you can overcome and walk in a higher level of freedom! (Romans 8:26)

Forgiveness…hmmm… what is the first thing one thinks of when seeing the word forgiveness? For me forgiveness always reminds me to pray. I couldn’t always say that. But now, at this stage of my life and after everything God has brought me through, I can honestly say prayer brings about forgiveness. Experience in my relationship with God has taught me that I overcome by the Blood of the Lamb and the word of my testimony. Prayer works!

Several years ago, someone came to spend some time at our house. Her identity and the details of what happened are irrelevant. What is relevant is the lesson God taught me during the experience. The visit was a train wreck from the time she walked through our door. I wondered, since this is not going well at all, why doesn’t she just cut all our losses and get out of my house? She did finally pack her things and leave...four days later!

In the moments immediately following her departure, I prayed. The very first thing God put into my heart was, “Forgive her and pray for her, Mark 11:25” And then He reminded me of  Matthew 5:44. I hung my head as I was so sad. I wanted Him to feel sorry for me! I wanted God to heal my broken heart. And He did but not the way I thought He would. I wanted Him to supernaturally touch my heart and make me all new and better than before! I didn’t want to have to pray for her.
I had been very hurt, but God didn’t give me a loophole. He wasn’t going to give me another option. I didn’t want to be stuck in the offense. I didn’t want to stifle my spiritual growth. I picked up my head and said, “Father, in the name of Jesus, help me pray for her because You know on my own I can’t right now.” He is so faithful and just. (1 John 1:19) He gave me the words I needed to pray for her. It was an earnest, heartfelt prayer. Since then, I’ve used the experience for God’s glory.

I’ve been taught by great men and women of God that taking an offense is like swallowing poison thinking the person who hurt us will be the one who gets sick. And it is a taking or rejecting of the offense. Each of us has that decision to make. Offense is poison. Offense poisons almost everyone who comes into contact with the offended person also. Offense makes a person get“stuck” in a “zone” and their growth is stopped.
There is much written about offense. My personal favorite is Breaking the Cycle of Offense by Dr. Larry Ollison found at www.faithman.org. I went into such great detail because I want to make sure all readers can easily find the book. I believe everyone should read the book. If you are not battling with an offense, you can use the book to minister to others who are.

I personally apply the information in Dr. Ollison’s book this way, every single time an offense is brought to my thoughts, I take every thought captive and I pray. I pray for the person who offended me. I don’t “pick up” the offense. I don’t “pat” it or “entertain” it. We are commanded to pray for those who spitefully use us (Matthew 5:44), so I simply pray and God does everything else for me. It isn’t a battle for me, the only battle I’m called to fight is the good fight of faith (1 Timothy 6:12).
Some may say not so simple. I say commit to it. Commit defined is to do, perform, or perpetuate. When I say commit, I mean commit in such a way that there are no other options. Really commit to crucify the flesh and allow obedience to override the natural. Galatians 5:16 promises us when we walk in the spirit we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

The blessing always comes when I follow through on my commitment to be obedient to His Word and crucify my flesh by praying for the person (when my flesh really just wants to scream!). In that simple, pure-hearted act of obedience, God causes something very supernatural to occur. The hurt in my heart is replaced with compassion.

God is always faithful to reveal to me why the person did what they did. Most of the time, their action is fear based. Fear is a result of not understanding God’s love. Not “ Hollywood ”love or any other incorrect definition of love, but true love. He causes me to pray that they have the power to understand, how wide, how long, how high and how deep His love is for them! I also take time to pray that for myself! (Eph 3:18)

My Father has commanded me to forgive so that I don’t hold myself captive in a self-induced prison. I encourage you to follow His Word and experience the freedom of walking in forgiveness in His love too.

Praise God! Break free! Forgive!

2 comments:

  1. WoW! Thanks for sharing! Helped and encouraged...
    Aloha, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mahalo Nui Loa for all your encouragement and support...I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete