Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Extra...Ordinary

I grew up in Oklahoma. Many times, while growing up, I heard a word pronounciation that didn’t quite sound the same as it did anywhere else in the world. For example, extraordinary can oftentimes sound like (pipe in southern drawl here) extra-ordinary. Being a word searcher, I looked up the definition of extraordinary, and it was defined as “going beyond what is usual, regular, or customary.” Then I thought, the opposite of extraordinary is ordinary, which is defined as, “of no exceptional ability, degree, or quality; average, of inferior quality; second-rate.

In 2 Kings 2:13 Elisha took up the mantle of Elijah. In order to take up, receive, seize, or carry away the mantle- Elisha had to operate beyond the realm of ordinary. In order for us to take up or seize the extraordinary, we must let go of and release the ordinary.

I had always heard that Elisha had received the mantle of Elijah. But I recently dug into the study on this subject. It wasn’t as if Elisha was going through life and suddenly “Woop! Oh look at that. The mantle of Elijah just fell on Elisha!” Elisha lived an exceptional life.  At least that's the word that pops into my mind when I think of his dedication!

Last year, my good friend Therese Chester, wanted to go to a prayer conference. She gave me all the reasons why she couldn’t go. She said:
  • It’s a long drive.
  • I don’t have the money.
  • My family here may need me.
  • I like to drink coffee and if I’m out of town, I won’t have coffee.

My husband said, “MimiT! If you want something different, you are going to have to do something different. Now, pack your thermos and GO!” She did pack her thermos, and she went. As a result, her life was changed.

I used to not be so excited to “seize.” Please allow me to explain. Growing up I felt very out of control and at the same time, very controlled. In my early 20’s, I bought myself a very nice planner. I believed my planner would make me more efficient and in many ways it did. However, in many ways, it locked me and those around me into a prison of schedules. When we first got married, I remember yelling at my husband over an appointment he missed. I screamed, “Once an appointment is written in the planner…it cannot be changed…abide by the planner!” In those days, I could’ve written a blog on the “Confessions of a Lister.” I’m often teased by family members that “even my lists have sublists." 

It's important for you to know...they are exaggerating slightly. My lists used to have sublists, but they don’t anymore. {Smile}

Recently, on a Saturday, my husband took my small children for the day so that I could have some down time. I had planned on organizing my garage. During my organization, God said, “Hezakiah” several times. About the third time He said, “Hezakiah,” I thought, “Who is Hezakiah?” I mean, obviously it is someone in the bible, but who was he and why did God keep saying it to me?

I had a plan for the day. I was going to read my daily bible reading, and then clean my garage. I even said, “Lord, today I had a plan to do my daily bible reading, which is now done. So now I’m going to clean my garage.” He said, “Lay your lists aside, and ask Me every day what to do.”

Rick Renner recently posted on Twitter, “A person who is content to live an average, run of the mill, non-productive life will never be mightily used of God.”

I believe Luke 14:18-20 can be summed up in what I refer to as, “I can’t- because I have to wash my cat syndrome.” I enjoy studying about powerful women in history who made great impact on their world. And in that study, I learned that none of them entertained an “I can’t- because I have to wash my cat syndrome.” What if…
  • Harriet Tubman continued to slave away
  • Rosa Parks gave up her seat
  • Esther stayed home
  • Anne Sullivan refused the challenge
To operate beyond the ordinary, many times we have to forgo washing the cat, i.e. reject our normal schedules. If there are too many things on our list of things to do, there will come a time when we have to reevaluate what is on our list, and seek first His Kingdom.

If you want something different, you are going to have to do something different. Now, pack your thermos and GO! Do something you’ve never done before! 

3 comments:

  1. Great blog! I did't know you had one! I was sharing some things about my past and a lady asked me, And the name of your book is? My answer, Just another ordinary supernatural life :) I see One here! (my definition of extraordinary) "Ask me EVERYDAY what to do." Amen. Congrats on your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mahalo! And that is an amazing title for your book...go for it! Get started today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few comments from
    Sisters In Christ Fellowship Facebook Wall

    D. Terrell "God Bless the reading and understanding that we get out of his word!!! Truly a blessing!!"

    Jennifer L. "Wow that was great couldn't have put it better it sounds so much like my life May God continue to Bless you ~♥~"

    Virginia H. "WOW...Powerful !! I sure needed that this morning...Thank you so much!!!"

    Bobbi D. "I live here in Oklahoma city.. and yes!!! U are soooo correct!!! Thank you for sharing!! God bless everyone!! May the 2012 be the year of our Lord Jesus return. Amen!!"

    ReplyDelete