Friday, May 30, 2014

The Perfect Pair of Pink Snazzy Shoes

Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you the path to take. (Proverbs 3:5-6, NLT)


I have a close friend who is remarkably beautiful. She always (yes always) dresses really well with every hair in place and every outfit perfectly coordinated and accessorized. Plus, she has a closet full of really snazzy shoes. I look forward to seeing her and when we get together we always giggle and chat about her shoes du jour. 

Several years ago I was shopping and came across what I thought was…

THE Perfect Pair of Shoes. 

The (seemingly) perfect pair of classy pink heels. The moment my eyes gazed upon their beauty...I was quite convinced I heard angels sing! I didn’t hesitate! I grabbed them off the shelf and tried them on. 

...Something just didn’t feel right. 

Oh but I wanted these shoes so much! 
My feet said, “This is not good.” 
But my emotions screamed, “You must have these shoes!” 

I completely disregarded everything my spirit was telling me as I ran to seal the deal on my pink snazzy shoes!

Once home, I looked through my closet to coordinate as many outfits as possible with my new pink snazzy shoes so I could wear them as much as possible. But something continued to be…just not right. I reasoned, “It’s going to be ok. Over time, I will break these shoes in and all will be well with my world.” Months later I determined, “I’m going to wear these shoes no matter what it takes!"

But every time (yes every time) I wore these shoes, everything in me screamed. These shoes were just so beautiful! 

They looked great on the outside but inside my body screamed. 

Wearing them continued to cause me so much pain from my toes to my mid back.

I continued to force a relationship between my body and these shoes. I didn’t want to give up on these shoes. 

I continued to torture myself…oh, I mean, I continued to wear these shoes over the next coming months. 

One day, I came to my senses and I said, “The shoes have got to go.” Later that day, I was meeting my friend…the remarkably beautiful one with the closet full of really snazzy shoes. I said, “Here, take these shoes.” 

I wasted so much time on something that would never fit.

When I got in my car to leave I screamed, “I am finally free! Good riddance to you pink snazzy shoes!"


Sometimes...in life...
we work so hard to force something to work. 
We ignore what our spirit is telling us and we run. 
We gaze upon what we think will be perfect and 
our emotions scream.
Our spirit tells us, 
“Something just isn’t right.” 
We continue to attempt to force things to work because we just don’t want to give up.
And we waste time on something that will never fit.
  • an occupation
  • a relationship
  • a marriage proposal
  • a homeschool curriculum 
  • staying in a department at church when we belong in a different department
  • a pair of seemingly perfect shoes…yep, even shoes

We’ve all tried to do what God never intended for us to do. 
And we've all failed to recognize when a season is over.

Free yourself. 
Make the change. 
Give up the “pink snazzy shoes” in your life. 
And never look back. 


Lord, I tried my way. Please forgive me. I trust in You with all my heart. I will no longer lean on my own earthly, temporal understanding. I commit to seek Your will in all I do. I thank You in advance to showing me each and every path to take. And I thank You for showing me every and every path, not to take. In the name of Jesus, I pray for every reader right now and I thank You for having a very specific plan and purpose for each of us. And I thank You for showing us Your plan for us in a way that we can clearly see without hesitation or doubt which paths to take and which paths to refuse to walk down. Many paths look good but isn’t a part of Your perfect plan. Thank You LORD, our eyes are blessed because they see and our ears for they hear.


Isaiah 43:18-19
Philippians 3:13




*Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, counselor, pastor, etc. I believe you have to specifically hear from God yourself in order to know when to dig down deep refusing to give up or to put an end to what you are doing because you’ve veered off God’s plan. Child of God, you are His sheep. You clearly hear His voice.


John 10:27




No comments:

Post a Comment