Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Rough Conditions


Count it all joy because He has given us all we need for life and godliness lacking no good thing! (James 1:2-4, 2 Peter 1:3, and Psalm 34:10) 

When I woke up today and looked outside, I saw rain clouds and heard the wind blowing. Immediately, I knew, today will not be perfect conditions for stand up paddling.  

Please allow me to explain, I really like glassy conditions. Glassy conditions are peaceful. Rough conditions…not so much.

I really wanted to go paddling so I sucked it up and went. As soon as I unloaded my board, a friend and fellow (seasoned) paddler said, "It's rough today, stay close to shore." I listened to him because he has paddled way more than I have. And he had already been out. So he has "been there". 

As I paddled in the rough water, against the wind, I envisioned my heart, lungs, and core getting stronger. I was actually joyful during the "fight". Not exactly the conditions I would've chosen for myself; however, I made a conscious choice to mediate on the advantages instead of meditating on all the disadvantages.

The wind was blowing me around and the water was bumpy but I saw something I had never seen before while on the water. I saw three water spouts. They were very small (Approximately three feet in height and approximately fifteen feet from me.) but big enough to knock me off my board if they got too close. 

I reached for my phone (in it's waterproof case) because I thought, "What a great video!" Then wisdom kicked in and I thought, "Ok, if the turbulence from the water spout knocks me off my board, I most likely need my paddle, not my camera in my hand." And, I really didn't want to see my phone drown.

The first two water spouts went past me from a safe distance.  I looked up and the third water spout was headed straight for me. Wisdom kicked in again and I thought, "I do not want to get caught in that"...although, in hindsight,  it would make for a great story if accompanied by video. Perhaps it's time for me to invest in a Go Pro Cam! 

Back to the waterspout. I didn't want to get beat up today. I just wanted to paddle. So I looked at the spout directly in front of me and I said, "You may NOT come near me in the name of Jesus." 

True story...the water spout immediately changed course and turned away from me, passing me from a safe distance.

I've said it before, I'll say it again…stand up paddling is a lot like every day life. 
  • Some days are perfect conditions. 
  • Other days are rough conditions. 
Thank God who has given us our friends, and apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers who have gone before us. They've "been there" and as we heed their advice, we walk in wisdom and stay "close to shore" not being blown out to sea. (Proverbs 27:9, Ephesians 4:11)

Thank God for spiritual authority and for teaching us to speak to the "mountain" and/or water spouts. (Luke 10:19, Mark 11:23)

Thank God for teaching us to count it all joy when (notice that verse does not say, if) we experience rough times because of His promises to work all things for our good. And since He be for us, who can be against us? (James 1:2-4, Romans 8:28, Romans 8:31)

What are your conditions like today?





No comments:

Post a Comment