Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Stay In It to Win It!

When my youngest child was three years old, she was referred to a speech therapist because her speech had not developed as it should have. I didn’t realize there was an issue. I thought her speech was a result of baby talk, and she would grow out of it. Once we were given the initial screening, I was told she would “need surgery” and required further testing “to the degree of a disability.”

I still remember how precious her tiny little hand felt in mine as we walked out of the initial screening. I forced back the tears and I fought fear head on. I refused to engage in thoughts of her going into surgery, never speaking correctly, and everything else that popped into my head that included “to the degree of a disability.” 

All I wanted to do was hug my baby and cry because I really didn’t know what lay ahead. I wasn’t even sure what “to the degree of a disability” meant! Fear was knocking hard, but faith answered. By the time we were walking out of the building, I began speaking life into all areas of her life. I declared that my child would have perfect speech, in the name of Jesus!

Initially, I believed we could go to therapy twice a week, pay for services and “tada!” she would speak correctly, and all would be well. I faithfully took her to therapy appointments. She was so cute as she colored her speech worksheets and engaged in therapy, playing speech games. Once we left therapy, I was thankful to check one more thing off my “to do list”...until next week. Once we left therapy, I didn’t really give speech another thought until our next session.

Since then, I’ve learned, speech therapy is a lot of “homework." Throughout the time she has been in speech therapy, I’ve learned more about speech therapy than I ever intended. Foremost, I learned, I really appreciate speech therapists. Secondly, I learned I would never want to be a speech therapist! Most importantly, I’ve learned that progress will not be made in two sessions per week.

After almost four years (we were told she would be in therapy until she was at least 8 years old) I finally grew up and realized in order for her to have perfect speech, I was going to have to lock in and work on speech with her at home. In other words, progress would not be made in two sessions per week without practical application the other 5 days per week. Speech is now a daily “assignment” in my home. As a result, she has progressed so well that her therapist told her, “I am so proud of you, the children I have in therapy don’t normally progress this quickly.” She smiled and said, “The Holy Spirit helps me.” She knows where her help comes from! (Ps. 121:2)

When I first began to go to church, I had the same attitude. Attend church once or twice per week, pay tithes & offerings & alms, “color my work sheets”, participate in class and even engage by signing up for a works ministry (usher, audio/video, etc.), cross church off my “to do list” and “TADA!” all would be well.

I realized that playing church is not the same as being in a relationship with Jesus.

My pastor requires us to follow a daily bible reading schedule. For the first two weeks, my flesh screamed to the point I didn’t even get anything out of the readings. But as I pressed on (James 2:14-26) and continued in obedience (even though it didn’t make sense initially) to who God had placed in authority of my life (Jer. 3:15), my relationship with Jesus deepened and became more meaningful.  Sometimes, we have to lock in and push through to frustration and not expect a “fast food” result (Gal 6:9).

A friend and I were recently having a discussion about commitment having a direct correlation with walking in The Blessing (Deut. 28). Out of that conversation, the following Tweet was birthed: 

“2 hours per week o commitment = 2 hours per week o The Blessing 
#itssimplemath”

Pastor Jason Meechan, Kona Faith Center, recently said, “If you are going to run The Race, be in it to win it!” As for me and my house, I’m not only in...but I’m in to win!

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.” (Hebrews 12:1-3)

No comments:

Post a Comment