Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Church Work is W.O.R.K.

For God is the one who provides seed for the farmer and then bread to eat. In the same way, he will provide and increase your resources and then produce a great harvest of generosity in you. (2 Corinthians 9:10, NLT)


I’ve done a lot of church work. 

My first “ministry” was baking cakes every Sunday morning for our church’s fellowship time which required me to get up at 5:30 a.m. 

On Sunday…every Sunday.

I had an infant and a toddler at the time. *Nuff said*

I’ve scrubbed toilets, cooked meals (under direct supervision), washed dishes, ushered, greeted, spearheaded a fundraiser, coordinated Operation Christmas Child, insured church bulletins were prepared and submitted, organized a weekly play group for toddlers, worked in the audio department/video department/nursery/taught high school Sunday school, and provided photography services for fliers/websites/promos, and shot events that required me to be at every practice as well as work 10-12 hours shooting…that does not include editing time (which is generally 3-7 minutes per shot). 

Yes, I counted. 

All free of charge. 

I only mention the monetary statement because that is generally the first statement someone makes when they are required to do more than they feel like doing. 

“What? You expect me to do what?! I’m not even getting paid for this!”

I don’t at all mention my “ministries resume” to toot my own horn. I know where my help comes from. (Psalm 121:2) I merely mention it to validate, I’ve been there. I’ve done that. I have put in enough time to qualify to speak on the matter.

I know people have jobs, kids, car issues, and can be short on funds and energy. I can completely relate. My life isn’t, nor has it ever been perfect and/or easy by any means. 

But I also know that I know this, when I give…my God gives unto me…with good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, poured right in my lap! (Luke 6:38)

“It" what? Supernatural blessings, in every area of my life! 

Supernatural is the only way to effectively explain my life! 
(John 10:10)

When all is said and done, whether at home, or on the job, or in church, 
I don’t work for man…I work for the Lord. 

Either I want to serve with my whole heart, 
or 
I don’t want to serve at all. 

When I serve, it is my responsibility to insure everything I think, say, and do...glories the One who called me. (Colossians 3:23, 1 Corinthians 10:31, Galatians 1:15)

Everything else is checked at the door. 

When I am at church and someone asks, “Can you…..?"  I've made it a personal goal to do my best to say, "Yes ma’am/sir, I can do whatever you need me to do.” After all, I wouldn’t even have seed, had God not given seed to me to sow. (2 Corinthians 9:10)

In addition to agreeing to fill a position comes the responsibility to submit to that authority. (1 Peter 2:13-14) I am not called to argue against, talk about, or reason with authority. 

Since I'm on a roll, here is a hard topic. Sometimes we have to jump in and do something that isn’t within “normal” realms but is completely outside our comfort zone.

It is outside our comfort zone where we learn 
what we can really accomplish.

I use to be one who didn’t like change and I certainly didn’t like sudden change. That is until I heard Pastor Slavic Sagach teach a message at Walk on Water Faith Church. He made a statement long ago that I still live by today. He said, “The way you handle change, is a direct reflection of your character.” 

Oh hello. Somebody please help me now.

Taking his statement as a personal challenge teaches flexibility. Perhaps it taught me to0 much flexibility but that's a whole other blog post. *lol*


Coming in for a landing...the reality is, scrubbing toilets at church is no easier than scrubbing toilets at work.  


Let me bring it all home with this.

If a new girl comes to town, I've seen men move all heaven and earth and not let hell stand in the way to take that girl out on a date. How much more, must our affections be turned toward God and His kingdom?

That's a rhetorical question *grin*



No comments:

Post a Comment